Monday, January 02, 2006

Hiatus, yes; what next?

Many life-altering changes in the past months are making it difficult to predict the direction in which this blog may turn in the near future. Primarily, I must report that I am leaving Akron, OH and becoming a DC-metropolitan area resident. While a few visits home for the recent holidays have meant that this transition has been mitigated/moderated (I'm not sure which word is more appropriate), at the same time it seems as if everything is happening so fast.

Meanwhile, I had started this blog as a means to prepare for the end of my Akron, OH life - to prepare for my Master's program's final examination and then perhaps to report a few of the more interesting aspects of my Fall '05 internship in Washington, DC (a period of time that was in fact so busy that updating a blog quickly became one of my lowest priorities).

Well (no) readers, should this now become a blog of a DC "insider"? Certainly not, for I am no insider. I still view myself as an outsider trying to break into the local DC network, though (as I mentioned before) I no longer feel like tourist.

Should it then be framed as such? As a Midwesterner trying to reconcile his current skills, experience, and beliefs with this new environment? Maybe yes, but maybe no; I can envision both benefits and problems with either option of such a choice - the politics of DC are indeed real and will have a significant impact on my future.

I suppose for now I will simply give no answer and leave you again with fewer updates and reports while I continue my attempts to learn about my place within this new environment and my role within it.