Monday, September 19, 2005

D.C.

I'm starting my second week at my internship in D.C. today, and I think that I am finally adjusting: to working 8 to 5 again (it's been about 2 years), to living in a dormitory again (It's been a lot longer than 2 years), etc.

The perspective that I am trying the most to get a hold of here is my place in this city. Is it somewhere that I could some day soon call home? Is it a place that would have me (e.g. is there a job out there, waiting for me to apply and win from the grasp of so many other talented and driven people here)?

I have plenty of other things to do while I am here, aside from seeing the city. My thesis remains half finished, PhD and fellowship applications need to be completed, and Arabic is a language that takes a lot of time to learn.

Thankfully, before I get too much of a chance to get homesick, my wife will be visiting me in early October. Until then, it is nose to the grindstone.