Saturday, October 01, 2005

Tourists, I am not one of them

This weekend, my third in town, was the first opportunity that I have taken to see some tourist sites. I visited the Smithsonian Museum of American History and one of the several Art Museums on the Mall, spending a few hours in each.

The weekends here have a much "slower" feel than the weekdays, though the rush of people going to work is merely replaced by crowds of tourists. I myself feel less like a tourist even though I am still exploring this city as a newcomer. I'm also taking on some anti-tourist traits, like becoming annoyed with people who stand two-wide on Metro escalators or - even worse - take photos (with flash, of course) of the huge escalators at the Woodley Park/Zoo station.

I am also one step closer to becoming a permanent resident of this city, for yesterday my supervisor and I began discussing options to keep me on board as a paid contractor once my internship ends in November. While this is great news, it also means that housing and relocation will now be additional projects for me to work on while I am here.